Thursday, June 17, 2010

Your 10,000 Year Old Body

Day 4 - Thursday, June 17, 2010

Have you ever thought of your body as a machine or a finely tuned instrument? It is designed to work efficiently and fluently, all systems delicately balanced against each other.  When one system gets out of balance (your gastro-intestional tract, for example) it affects the other systems. 

Your body needs fuel in small quantities at regular intervals throughout the day.  The reason is that we all have 10,000 year old bodies, living in the 21st Century.  The two are in constant conflict with each other, because they operate from completely different needs.

Your body still has many of the same survival mechanisms that it had 10,000 years ago when humans first showed up on the planet. Food was scarce, difficult to find and took a lot of energy to acquire and consume.  Large meals were rare and people ate in small quantities as they discovered a new food source.  Men and women of 10,000 years ago did not a fat tire around their waist or cellulite on their thighs.  The word "diet" did not exist, because there were no fat people!  They only ate for nourishment and fuel, because starvation was always a demon riding on their shoulder.

Most people in our society today do not worry about starvation. Advertisers and big conglomerates have positioned food in our belief system to be a replacement or enhancement for a wide range of emotions.  We have accepted the message that a warm cookie brings happiness, a rich meal means romance and snacking mindlessly on chips will make us popular.  And none of these nutrition-starved calories were consumed because we were hungry!

Can you see why our 10,000 year old bodies have trouble processing the excessive amount of calories we eat - mindlessly?  It is up to you to say, "Enough!" and make a decision to learn how your body works, what it needs and how you can best feed it so it operates at maximum efficiency, capacity and energy. 

Fortunately, you don't have to go back to school to learn nutrition or take night classes to become healthy.  All you have to do is make Medifast part of your life, and you will learn the healthy habits of living that are in perfect alignment with your body.  The products and program are designed to work with your 10,000 year old body, helping you lose weight and regain the balance that is naturally yours.

I discovered this truth yesterday, on Day 3 of my Medifast Journey.  I had a lot of work to do at the computer, and I missed my 10:00 a.m. Medifast meal.  At 11:30 a.m., I realized that I was hungry and I felt light-headed.  I ate a Crunch Bar and laid down to rest.  As my blood sugar came back up, I realized two things:
  1. Do not skip one of the 5 Medifast meals or I will not feel good; and
  2. I am becoming more sensitive to my body and its needs.
That small glitch contained a big lesson.  Pay more attention to the nutritional needs of my body, and I will feel great.  Ignore those needs and my body responds by lowering all systems to compensate.

I also did something fun yesterday - I had lunch with my wonderful husband!  We planned what we were going to order before we got to the restaurant (most restaurants post their menus online), which took away any temptation to make a non-approved food choice.  Red Robin does not offer a Weight Watchers selection, so we chose the grilled chicken, mixed green salad.  I tried a small bite of chicken with some of the salad, and discovered that I did not need the low fat dressing I had ordered!  Another discovery that I made - thanks to Medifast!

You may wonder what I did for dinner.  Since I already had my "lean and green" meal at lunch, I was happy to fix a bowl of Chicken and Rice soup for dinner.  It tasted great, it was filling, and I was happy.

My body is getting thinner.  I have not weighed myself yet, but I will tomorrow and let you know the results.  The waist band on my pants is looser and I feel more vibrant and alive.  Just noticing these results solidifies my vision of becoming my healthy self - slender, muscular and full of energy.

Why not help your body regain its natural balance?  If you want to learn more about the Take Shape for Life program, that uses Medifast products, please visit http://www.davideriksen.tsfl.com or call me.  If you are a friend, you have my cell phone number!

Living well, beautifully!

Kathy  





 

1 comment:

  1. I love what you're doing Kathy, you really are an inspiration! Keep up the great work! X

    ReplyDelete