Thursday, April 23, 2009

To Expand or Contract? That is the Question.

The famous quote from Shakespeare, "To be or not to be" has its place in immortality. Many things have been written about these five simple words. Philosophers, intellectuals and other esteemed people have placed their interpretation on this essential phrase. But what does it really mean?

We are human BEINGS, always in the act of creating our reality. The word "being" is a verb - active and expressive of an unseen force that flows through all of nature and through all of us. We are creative BEINGS, always in the act of creation. But what happens when we learn habits that smother our creative powers, merely because we start living our life automatically?

We become human BEANS.

The word "bean" sounds just like "being" but they represent two totally different concepts. A "bean" is an inanimate thing. It cannot chose how to react, nor can it chose to anything different than what it was made to be. The concept of free will does not apply to a bean; only to human beings.

But a bean is still alive. It can still grow, right? True, but it does not chose when to grow or sprout. It just does, just like it was programmed to do by the unseen force that underlies all of nature. A bean grows into what it was created to become. Nothing more, nothing less. And as long as it receives the nutrients it needs to grow, a bean cannot decide to become a different plant or animal. It has no say in the matter.

But we do have a say! The question is whether we realize our "being" or do we ignore it?

After listening to the audio course, "The 11 Forgotten Laws" I realized that in every waking moment, I am faced with a fundamental choice about my life. One basic decision stands behind my thoughts, which turn into beliefs, which then turn into action. That decision is whether or not I chose in that moment to "BE." Do I chose to become a higher version of myself, or do I decide "not to be" that person?

In other words, to paraphrase Shakespeare, "To expand or not to expand."

It does not have quite the same ring to it, does it? But the essential message is still expressed. In this moment (which is all I have) do I chose to expand my awareness and consciousness, by expressing my true self through my words and actions? Or do I chose to contract myself by being judgmental, critical, bitter, resentful, etc?

The decision is always left up to me. And the consequences are always my own.

Try this today - whenever you are faced with a situation where you could react either positively or negatively, ask yourself, "Do I expand or contract?" At first, this will seem awkward and perhaps may even upset you, but you will soon discover that you have been reacting habitually to situations instead of living in that moment. By forcing yourself to stop for a second to contemplate and deliberately chose your reaction, you begin to take back your life.

If you faithfully practice this simple process, you will start to accumulate moments in which you were totally present. Your thoughts were not distracted, you were not operating on automatic pilot, and you became aware of the consequences of your actions.

In other words, you were a human BEING in that moment.

And it feels great! Enthusiasm, joy, love and wonder will begin to fill your heart. You may even feel your very soul stand up, stretch, and say, "Finally! You woke up!"

"To be or not to be." That truly is the question for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment